SETI bioastro: MAP launch, resolving stellar disks, glowing Mars plants

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 10:58:20 PDT

MAP SPACECRAFT IN FLORIDA FOR LAUNCH PREPARATIONS
NASA's Microwave Anisotropy Probe is undergoing final readiness
preparations at Kennedy Space Center for its upcoming launch this
summer aboard a Boeing Delta 2 rocket. The craft is designed to make
a full sky picture of cosmic microwave background radiation, the
afterglow of the Big Bang.

    http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0105/06map/

STELLAR DISK 25,000 LIGHT YEARS AWAY 'RESOLVED'
Like our Sun, stars are large gaseous spheres. However, while we are
able to perceive the Sun's disk, all other stars are so far away that
they normally appear as points of light. Only specialized observing
techniques are able to "resolve" the images of nearby stars and to
show them as extended balls of fire.

    http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0105/06esostellar/

GENETICALLY MODIFIED EARTH PLANTS WILL GLOW FROM MARS
In what reads like a story from a 1950s science fiction magazine, a
team of University of Florida scientists has genetically modified a
tiny plant to send reports back from Mars in a most unworldly way: by
emitting an eerie, fluorescent glow.

    http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0105/05marsplant/