SETI bioastro: Fewer Planets, Less Life?

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 08:10:43 PDT

"If there really is extraterrestrial intelligence somewhere beyond
our planet, it doesn't seem to be all that anxious to be discovered. For
decades now, scientists and ET enthusiasts have been keeping an ear open to
the heavens, expecting to pick up some clue, perhaps a television
program, or more likely a radio beacon used for interstellar navigation,
that would tell us he, she or it is out there. But so far, zilch. No
deliberate effort to contact us. No slip of the tongue that we might
overhear. Nothing. The latest disappointment comes from scientists who
suggest that if ET is out there, he may be having a tough time finding
a suitable abode. The research suggests there may be far fewer places out
there - planets like our Earth - that could harbor life than we had
thought."

--Lee Dye, ABC News, 3 May 2001

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DyeHard/Dyehard.html