SETI bioastro: FW: Native Venusian life?

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 12:00:57 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa@klx.com [mailto:owner-europa@klx.com]On Behalf Of
Bruce Moomaw
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 2:48 PM
To: Icepick Europa Mailing List
Cc: spoon@sunra.colorado.edu
Subject: Native Venusian life?

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Klaes <larry.klaes@incent.com>
To: Icepick (E-mail) <europa@klx.com>
Date: Friday, June 15, 2001 11:30 AM
Subject: FW: [NSS-Discuss] Venus-bound spacecraft: An idea from the gut

You ain't the only one -- Charles S. Cockell has a long article on the
subject ("Life on Venus") in the Dec. 1999 "Planetary and Space Science"
(Vol.47 [1999], pg. 1487). I had always assumed that any Venusian cloud
droplets containing bacteria would drop down into the lower atmosphere and
roast the critters before they could reproduce -- but Cockell says
definitely not. He considers extant life in the sulfuric-acid cloud
droplets of today's Venus unlikely, but not impossible. An extremely
interesting article.

==
You are subscribed to the Europa Icepick mailing list: europa@klx.com