SETI bioastro: Are We Alone in the Milky Way Galaxy?

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 14:33:47 PDT

One of the most challenging mysteries facing mankind is this: Are we alone
in this vast galaxy in which we find ourselves, or are there other
technological civilizations in other star systems? We concern ourselves with
technologically-advanced civilizations, for these are the ones which we
could conceivably make contact with, either by radio or starship. Is there
anyone else with whom we share the tool-using experience, or is our
situation unique?
The study which is called SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) is
plagued by two disturbing puzzles. One is this: If the galaxy is an
inhabited place, then why have increasingly-sophisticated attempts to
discover the radio transmissions of other races been, thus far,
unsuccessful? Why the Great Silence? The other has been called the Fermi
Paradox (most simply, "Why aren't they here?").

http://members.aol.com/howiecombs/alone.htm