SETI bioastro: We had a Pioneer 10 track Saturday, April 28, 2001 and Pioneer 10 is alive!

From: Larry Klaes (larry.klaes@incent.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:33:28 PDT

We had a Pioneer 10 track Saturday, April 28, 2001 and Pioneer 10 is alive!

We received telemetry here at Ames Research Center sent to us from
Madrid Spain, the NASA Deep Space Network station 63. Station 63,
transmitted a 200 kw uplink signal on Friday (I reported 300 kw last
week but they reduced it to 200 kw) and then Madrid listened for
telemetry that would be sent down from Pioneer 10 using the variable
frequency oscillator that comes on when Pioneer 10 hears an uplink
signal. The modulated down link signal would be sent at a known
offset frequency and Station 63 would search for our 8 watt signal
around that expected frequency.

It worked, and we had telemetry until the time Pioneer 10 quit seeing
the uplink signal, a one way light time earlier. Following that we
did not see any telemetry from what should have been sent using the
fixed frequency oscillator. It may be that the fixed frequency
oscillator has quit or has shifted too far away from what it was
supposed to be set at and the DSN just can't find it.
(The spacecraft is much colder than what was designed for as all of
the instruments are off except for Dr. Van Allen's Geiger Tube
Telescope)

We have two more round trip light time tracks scheduled in May and
then Madrid will not be able to send uplinks at 200 kw because it
would interfere with the use of that frequency by others. (we were
not expected to still be on the air and the frequencies have been
reassigned for use by others)

We did some screen shots of my LabVIEW telemetry program but they are
in pict format and I will have to get them converted to jpegs before
we post them on the web. ( had hoped to put them up on the home site
http://home.mindspring.com/~larrykellogg or the spaceprojects site.
Will see what we can do. )

Dr. Lawrence Lasher has updated the status report on Space Projects
Pioneer web site.
http://spaceprojects.arc.nasa.gov/Space_Projects/pioneer/PNStat.html
but you may have trouble logging on as it seems to be getting a lot
of hits and is only a Macintosh server.

Here are two reports sent me by you folks who are listening and looking up.

Larry Kellogg