SETI bioastro: Boston NSS lecture on Compton GRO - May 4, 2000

From: Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 11:13:36 PDT

National Space Society (NSS) Boston May 4, 2000 Meeting

Directions at http://spaceviews.com/boston/events.html

NSS Boston events

May 4, 2000 - Jim Ryan, Co-Investigator, UNH, COMPTON GAMMA RAY OBSERVATORY

"The Legacy of the Compton Observatory"

Only a few NASA missions have accomplished what the Compton
Observatory has, that is, revolutionize a field of astrophysics or
astronomy. Before the launch of the mission in April 1991, the field
of gamma-ray astronomy consisted of low resolution, poorly controlled
or spotty observations of the sky. After only one or two years in
orbit our understanding of the gamma-ray Universe was radically
different, with old theories being discarded, new classes of emitting
objects being discovered and the full extent of the high-energy
Universe being recognized. Now at the premature end of the mission,
we review the nature and the magnitude of this change in our
understanding of the Universe.

Compton Gamma Ray Observatory Science Support Center Web site:

http://cossc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cossc/

Jim Ryan's bio page at UNH:

http://www.catsat.sr.unh.edu/personnel/jryan.html