SETI bioastro: Dibner Library Lecture 2000 - Stephen J. Dick

From: Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 13:55:12 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:36:23 -0400
Sender: History of Astronomy Discussion Group <HASTRO-L@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>
From: Ronald Brashear <rbrashea@SIL.SI.EDU>
Subject: Dibner Library Lecture 2000
To: HASTRO-L@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU
KAA06915

For those of you in the DC area next week, I would like to invite you to
this year's Dibner Library Lecture on a topic that might be of some
interest to the HASTRO folks:

Smithsonian Institution Libraries

is pleased to announce the 2000 Dibner Library Lecture by

Steven J. Dick
Historian of Science
U.S. Naval Observatory

Tuesday May 2, 2000, 4:00 pm
Reception Suite, National Museum of American History
12th & Constitution Ave. NW
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC
(Reception to follow the lecture)

As we enter the new millennium in 2001, the largest unsolved problem in
astronomy is whether life exists beyond the Earth. There are two opposing
views: that cosmic evolution results in an abundance of life and
intelligence, or that it results only in planets, stars and galaxies
without life. Drawing a parallel between Galileo's Dialogue on the Two
Chief World Systems (1632) almost four centuries ago, this illustrated
lecture discusses that past and current debate over these two world views,
making use of volumes in the Dibner Library of the History of Science and
Technology collection including works by Galileo, Johannes Kepler, Bernard
le Bovier de Fontenelle, and Giordano Bruno.

This is a free public lecture supported by The Dibner Fund.

I hope to see many of you there.

********************
Ronald Brashear
Curator of Science & Technology Rare Books
Dibner Library of the History of Science & Technology
Special Collections Dept.
Smithsonian Institution Libraries
NMAH 5016
Washington, DC 20560-0630