SETI bioastro: On the Physical Cause and the Distance of Gamma Ray Bursts and Related Phenomena in the X-Rays and the Ultra-Violet

From: Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 09:11:23 PDT

From: Kevin Maguire <kmaguire@init.com>

I don't have ghostscript on the machine I'm using right now, but

    <http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/physics/0004034 >

bears the title "On the Physical Cause and the Distance of Gamma Ray
Bursts and Related Phenomena in the X-Rays and the Ultra-Violet", and
the abstract reads:

     The modified Lorentz transformation of a distance-dependent
     special theory of relativity - which will be briefly summarized -
     predicts the possibility of superluminal velocity of very
     distantly moving material bodies to be connected with the
     generation of Cerencov radiation off the quantum vacuum. It is shown
     that vacuum Cerencov radiation due to the superluminal
     propagation of extraterrestrial spaceprobes in the interstellar
     space would account for all known properties of gamma ray bursts
     (GRBs) and the "afterglow" at lower frequencies. Distances and
     other parameter prove to be calculable and the theoretical
     results on these grounds to be in good accord with experiment.

My question to the assembled multitudes: is this for real? That is,
do papers pass any kind of review before becoming available at xxx.lanl.gov,
or is it an open posting forum?

I was tipped to this by Need To Know: