SETI bioastro: What kind of organism is Earth?

From: Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 13:29:57 PDT

"I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO THINK OF THE EARTH AS A KIND OF ORGANISM,
BUT IT IS A NO GO. I cannot think of it this way. It is too big,
too complex, with too many working parts lacking visible connections.

The other night, driving through a hilly, wooded part of southern
England, I wondered about this. If not like an organism, what is it
like, what is it most like? Then, satisfactorily for that moment,
it came to me: It is most like a single cell."

- The Lives of a Cell: Notes of a Biology Watcher, by Lewis Thomas
  Published by Bantam Books, Copyright 1974

For more Lewis Thomas quotes:

http://ra.nilenet.com/~mjl/gaia/cell.html

http://www.louisville.edu/~brpoun01/pounlewis.html