SETI bioastro: Hot Jupiters and Rare Earths: Planets are common. Are we?

From: Larry Klaes (lklaes@bbn.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 12:33:13 PDT

16 April 2000:

Hot Jupiters and Rare Earths: Planets are common. Are we?

A few years ago we expected to find other solar systems
like our own but instead have found weird ones that fly in
the face of what we thought we knew.

Twenty years ago we thought we understood the extent to which
life had colonized Earth and what should be possible elsewhere.
Now we find life that can live in battery acid and inside nuclear
reactors and deep within Earth's sea and crust - places where
they have no right to be, if you read the old text books.

Several presentations at the recent Astrobiology Science Conference
examined the extrasolar planets we have found, the ones we are still
looking for, and what all of this has to say about the possibility of
complex (ergo intelligent) life elsewhere in the Universe.

Full story, presentation abstracts, and extensive background
information start here:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=116